Monday, March 19, 2007

Interfacing, darts, and zippers.....Oh My!

Yes, I've been sewing up a storm....and I've landed myself in some scary territory. Wish I had ruby slippers to keep me safe; I guess my cute new (green!) slippers will have to do.

But first....an Ode to Spode.


Oh Spode....how I love thee....thou beauty defies description. Okay, enough of me trying to be a poet. I really DO love my new dishes. I have been collecting over a few months now, a few pieces at a time as I find them. The Willow collection is a special favorite, as it reminds me of this book I read as a little girl. My grandmother knew the author and had the book signed for me...so now I think happy thoughts of my wonderful grandmother (I still miss you, Gamma) as I look at my beautiful plates.
On to the sewing......

This was actually my second project complete this weekend, but it's the one I'm most proud of, so I put it first. This was my first foray into the land of interfacing.....it's a scary place, it is. I wasn't sure what weight to use, which side was "wrong" or "right", and frankly, the "help" at the fabric store wasn't very helpful. One teenage girl said, "What's interfacing"? Then, the MAN cutting my fabric was busy with the three lovely older ladies talking about quilts. That's not a conversation I wanted to interrupt! I'm having problems with interfacing, and they're talking quilts. Talk about feeling my lack of experience....Anywho, I finally got it all together, and this is the result. A beautiful lined tote (the lining is stripes of varying shades of green...tried to snap it but the little hand was in the way). I'm very proud!

My next sewing project (#3 mentioned above) is cut out, so now the sewing begins. A lot of circles, notches, etc. to be marked and cut, AND.......drum roll, please.....DARTS AND a ZIPPER! Send good thoughts out to me....

3 comments:

Melanee said...

Very cute bag! I love it!

Anonymous said...

Great Job! Love the bag - congratulations on the interfacing.

woof nanny said...

Excellent! Also, I am so glad that you will be joining in on the purse project. It should be fun and inspiring for all of us :)