Monday, March 5, 2007

Weekend Goodies (#7)

Drumroll, please! I finally finished (one was actually STARTED and COMPLETED) over the weekend. I'm very proud of my two projects, as other than some baby blankets for Made for China, these are the first things I have sewn in over 20 years! That's right...the last real things I sewed were in 7th grade for my Sewing class.
So...this was a real shot in the dark for me. I guess that's all part of the healing process: not being afraid of failure anymore. As I have stated before, I'm a real perfectionist, and sewing (at least in the beginning) doesn't allow for that. You have to roll with the punches, err mistakes, and just rip out the seams and start over. A metaphor for life, actually, and one I need to take to heart....
Now...as I proudly display my work, please be kind. I know that many of you out there are fluent in the language of sewing, but remember, I am basically still a student in Sewing 1 (okay, maybe 101 at age 34!). Without further ado:
Mr. Flops


I guess you can figure why he is named as he is! I figured my little guy (Nathan) would commandeer him, and I was correct. After I brought Mr. Flops downstairs, Nathan cruised right on over, latched on to him, and scooted away. I made the template myself (yes, a BIG deal for me), and fill him with rice and poly-fill (mostly rice so he would thus be "floppy"). I used an old shirt of mine and an old fleece blanket from IKEA as the fabric. And yes, another biggie: I did the embroidery on the face myself (drew them on with disappearing ink beforehand). Such joy, such bliss I have sewing something for one of my little boys....I hope he loves forever and passes it on....

It's a Purse!

I thought I would tell you just in case....I did use a pattern for this (a Simplicity Sew Easy), but added my own embellishments in the end. I really loved this fabric the first time I saw it and knew it would be my first purse. The lining is the same fabric as the flower (a little wonky, but I'm pretty proud nevertheless). The flower and the ribbons at the top (to cover up the stitches) were my ideas. I looove, looove, loove it: the purse screams "Spring!" to me and definitely speaks of my return to the land of color (my other purses being nice, but brown and black...). And I did this all yesterday..

There you have it! My first two projects!! And that's not all I did this weekend....once I take the pics., you'll see my other goodies....



1 comment:

Katie Jean said...

I think I came here from africankelli's page. Anyway, just wanted to say that I love the bunny. I have yet to make anything for my son because I can never find a good project, but the bunny is cute and I bet he'd like that!